[postgis-devel] GDAL OUT-DB RASTER SUPPORT

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed May 3 21:48:12 PDT 2017

Osahon,

I have some ideas, but nothing I can suggest that is pluggable without changing PostGIS and GDAL.

The reason why it's slow is a couple

1)      ST_Resize is generally slower than reading cause it's doing some stuff to the raster.  The new function I am thinking of would do nothing aside from reading in the bytes of the raster.

2)      When you use a view, the data in raster_columns view for the view is incomplete, doesn't have the meta data that GDAL relies on, so it then tries to compute it with a query which since the rast column is a black box to it, also requires rerunning ST_Resize or whatever by querying the view which compounds the slowness.

To remedy this issue in 2.4, I'm planning to have a side line table like raster_column_additional so users can manually enter things like views with the right params and then the raster_columns view would use this information instead if of recomputing if there is an entry in raster_column_additional.

Plan to throw in some helper functions to auto-compute for views.

This part isn't needed for making out-db readable and speedily readable, but would solve some other issues people have complained about.

3)      Since the ST_Resize view uses  a function and GDAL just sees the view as another table, you'd need a spatial index on the functional bits something like:

CREATE INDEX idx_outdb_table_mat_rast  ON outdb_table USING gist(st_convexhull(ST_Resize (rast,0.8,0.8)) );

This wouldn't be necessary at all if we revised GDAL library.

4)       for it to be able to use it seamlessly, unless you did as I mentioned, limit your view to just a small area.

The fix I had in mind for this as I mentioned in another email is to create a wrapper function (that is not as expensive as ST_Resize that will return a non-outdb raster),

and revise GDAL so the query will still use the raw out-db raster for computing the meta data it needs and also using the spatial index on the out-db so no additional index is needed and no additional cost of running the function is incurred.

All the above I think should make using out-db raster as transparent and fast as in-db and viewable in QGIS.

HINT HINT – If any raster folks are interested in funding this kind of work, let me know.  We will then be able to prioritize it for PostGIS 2.4 and next GDAL release.

Thanks,

Regina