[postgis-devel] PSC Vote: Drop Support for PostgreSQL 9.2 in PostGIS 2.4

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 26 10:51:56 PDT 2017

Devrim,

Wow you are mean :)
I didn't bother proposing that because

1) I figured it would be shot down
2) It seemed especially mean to drop 3 versions in one release.
Though dropping 9.3 is looking tempting.

3) I wanted people if they could to be able to do a pg upgrade from say 9.3 to 10 if they did so choose.
This would not be possible if PostgreSQL 9.3 is not supported in 2.4.

The alternative is to support PostgreSQL 10 on 2.3, which I would much rather not do since we'd then have to make sure 2.3 changes never impact 10 for the life of 10 and there are already quite a few 10 specific changes that would have to be backported to 2.3, possibly destabilizing other lower versions.

I know quite a few folks still on 9.3 sadly but very few on 9.2.  If they are on 9.2, 10 is a steep climb for other breaking reasons anyway so they would probably go 9.4 or 9.5 first before going for 10.
So I figure dropping 9.2 wouldn't impact too many people.

Thanks,
Regina