[postgis-devel] [geos-devel] GEOS C++ API deprecated? (was: PostGIS 2.5 what should be minimum requirements?)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Oct 1 13:05:43 PDT 2017

On 1 October 2017 at 21:47, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 10/01/2017 09:33 PM, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Unless, Sandro, your aim is to eventually mark C++ API deprecated
>> and stop installing C++ API libraries and headers.
>>
>> That will require RFC and that is what I'm debating about.
>
> To end this debate once and for all,

Mind you, that does not ends anything, it starts it.

> I'd love for the C++ API to be officially deprecated and no longer installed soon after.

As member of GEOS development team, I'm deeply concerned about
taking such comments seriously, by rest of GEOS team.

> As long as libgeos is provided alongside libgeos_c, C++ projects will be tempted to
> keep using it.

So what.

> And from my perspective as a package maintainer, I would
> like for those projects to stop doing that and have them all use the C
> API instead.

Just stop accepting such GEOS-based software for packaging
and keep nagging authors of such projects to switch to GEOS C API,
but do not delegate your problem to GEOS.
It is not GEOS problem that someone uses GEOS C++ API.
GEOS is C/C++ library.

Having said enough, I'm not going to participate in the debate any longer.

I only ask Sandro, as the GEOS leader/PSC member to answer one question:

Do you plan to practically deprecate GEOS C++ API and stop installing
GEOS C++ headers?

Best regards,