[postgis-devel] ST_SimplifyVW not touching Start and endpoint of polygon

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Mon Oct 16 02:06:01 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 08:19:05AM +0200, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> How does ST_Simplify handle this? Does ST_Simplify move start/end -
> point?

The Douglas Peuker algorithm starts from reference points,
our implementation always takes start/end points as the natural
initial reference pair.

For closed linestrings (and polygon rings) I've been thinking a few
times that it would be nice to pick the reference points in a better
way (like the two furthest points) but never tried it.