[postgis-devel] Lack of aux files in distribution (was: PostGIS 2.2.6, 2.3.4, and 2.4.1)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sat Oct 28 15:49:57 PDT 2017

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 01:52:20AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> As I mentioned here - https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3916
>
> This change broke my ability to make install.
>
> Adding in the AC_PROG_INSTALL
>
> At least switched from  INSTALL = ../   to INSTALL = /bin/install -c
>
> Which has the annoyance of not being able to create directories.  Switching to install-sh works.

I guess we'll want to add an `installdirs` Makefile target to make
sure those directories are created before attempts are made to install
files into them.

> Can we maybe hard-code build-aux/install-sh

I saw you did this already, but the correct way to hard-code would be
from configure.ac (defininig INSTALL) rather than from each and every
Makefile.in. Still I'd rather use the `installdirs` trick.

> Or even better, can we PLEASE GO BACK TO G;OL days when liblwgeom didn't try to install itself in system folders.
> I hate having a /usr/local  folder constantly being created and stuff ending up there I don't want.

This is what --prefix should be for, did you try if it works ?