[postgis-devel] filter by m-value and effective area

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Sun Sep 24 02:04:17 PDT 2017

The ST_SimplifyVW does that filtering, but I didn't open any way to do
the filtering on already computed m-values. But I also added
ST_SetEffectiveArea, which is kind of ST_SimplifyVWPrepare()
but not ST_SimplifyVWPrepared() in the meaning that it works on already
prepared VW.

ST_SimplifyVW shortcits when the requested effective area is found so
it is a little slower to run ST_Seteffectivearea.

That is an interesting difference between ST_Simplify and
ST_SimplifyVW, that ST_Simplify gets faster the fewer points it shall
filter away, and ST_SimplifyVW is faster the fewer points it shall
return.

They attack the problem from different ends.

/Nicklas