[postgis-devel] [MOTION] remove generated parser files from repo

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Sep 26 17:19:27 PDT 2017

"Regina Obe" <lr at pcorp.us> writes:

>> Only if you don't accidentally override them as happens in Debbie.

> Yah we should do something about this annoying overriding.  It happens
> to me often and causes false errors for me locally when it happens.

I think we either need to:

  remove generated files

  stop having rules to create those files at all as part of the normal
  build, and some special target to update them so the new ones can be
  checked in

and lean to remove.  If only some versions of tools are ok, autogen
shoudld check and fail.

>> Beside, there unpredictability also due to other dependencies and to
>> compiler being used and flags passed it, so that aspect should maybe
>> be taken care of in a different way (official build environment
>> Docker?)
>
>> --strk;

> I don't think you can wave this away with docker.  People are still
> going to be building from our source control and not necessarily a tar
> ball.  So we have to be considerate about these folks.
>
> Unless I'm missing something I don't see how Docker is going to help
> with that.

You are not missing anything, and Docker is not adequately portable
(postgis runs on platforms that Docker does not run on, I'm pretty
sure).

On top of that, packaging systems build in their own environments, and
it's not reaally reasonable to tell them they have to do something odd
to get exactly the blessed binaries.   pkgsrc is now setting stack
protection flags, on platforms and compilers that support them, and
that's pretty normal.  Plus not just compiler flags, but entire
compilers nobody here has heard of.