[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5 what should be minimum requirements?

Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski me at komzpa.net
Fri Sep 29 09:28:31 PDT 2017

Please don't hesitate to raise minimum versions to latest released at the
time of release.
If someone needs an older version, they are free to comment out the checks
and build at their own risk.
Otherwise we're going to have distros with older versions of libraries,
because "it's not required to upgrade so let's not".

If somebody updates postgis outside of their distro's release cycle,
they're doing it at their risk already, so no reason not to drag newer
libraries in. Usually they don't break too much ABI to postpone.