[postgis-devel] PostGIS 2.5 what should be minimum requirements?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri Sep 29 12:49:47 PDT 2017

Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On 09/29/2017 06:28 PM, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski wrote:
>> Please don't hesitate to raise minimum versions to latest released at the
>> time of release.
>> If someone needs an older version, they are free to comment out the checks
>> and build at their own risk.
>> Otherwise we're going to have distros with older versions of libraries,
>> because "it's not required to upgrade so let's not".
>
> Or distributions are forced to stick to older versions of the libraries
> because the newer versions cannot be integrated properly with all their
> reverse dependencies. As is currently the case for GEOS >= 3.6.

Agreed.  I just *this week* updated pkgsrc to geos 3.6 (3.6.2 actually).
That's not because it was hard; I've had the update staged since January
or so.  It's because osm2pgsql does not yet have a release that will
function with geos being at 3.6.  I finally gave up waiting.

So I'd amend that to:

  Don't hesitate to update dependencies to a version that was released 6
  months before the release of the new postgis, as long as there are no
  issues which would prevent a reasonable person from updating, such as
  API changes that break depending packages.

But even so, I think it's ok to require geos 3.6 in mid 2018.