[postgis-devel] Bit setting to compress PostGIS geometries

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri Feb 16 06:46:15 PST 2018

That's quite diabolical, and a nice freebie... and it brings us right
back to discussions of precision models.
Are they global, by table, by function call?
Smaller objects will make for faster access, so it's a win, I think we
should bring it in.
Incidentally, I've been doing some point-in-polygon benchmarking, and
the amount of time we spend just decompressing a toasted tuple in a
p-i-p calculation with a large polygon can be 95% of the CPU. Over and
over and over. Decompress it, check to see if it matches what's
cached, repeat.
For that use case, using "external" storage with a uncompressed header
and compressed payload would be a big win. Small is good.