[postgis-devel] Bit setting to compress PostGIS geometries

Nicklas Avén nicklas.aven at jordogskog.no
Fri Feb 16 12:33:24 PST 2018

Hello
Very interesting!
Will the compression and decompression also be faster? I guess it is
easier to crunch the zeros than random numbers?
I tried to create a bytea type with external storage just to see if
compression has an impact on performance, but it was apperantly a
little more complicated than just reusing the input and oputput
functions from original bytea.When I was working on the TWKB format I
found that twkb-compression was very much faster than gzip compression
of a file outside the database with the same data as wkb,But maybe the
compression technique postgresql uses is faster (and probably
compresses less than ordinary zip)

/Nicklas