[postgis-devel] GSoC - looking for co-mentor

Victoria Rautenbach victoria.rautenbach at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 07:09:26 PST 2018

Dear PostGIS dev community

Firstly, I would like to introduce myself. I am Victoria Rautenbach a
geoinformatics lecturer at the University of Pretoria in South Africa
[1]. Over the last couple of months, I was involved with the Google
Code-in and really enjoyed working with the school learners. Thus when
the call for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) ideas is of interest to me
[2].

This is email is to ask if there is anyone from the PostGIS dev
community interested in co-mentoring a project for the GSoC with me?

My idea is for the student(s) to enhancing the query builder for
PostgreSQL to better work with
PostGIS functionality. This is more for non-geospatial user or
beginner, for example, some students are used to working with query
builders in other DBMSs and then when they try to use it with PostGIS
commands, it does not really work. I think this would be helpful
especially to introduce students or beginners to PostGIS. The idea is
still rough and I am open to suggestions.

Regards
Victoria

[1] http://www.up.ac.za/en/centre-for-geoinformation-science/article/2060495/victoria-rautenbach
[2] https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/defining-a-project-ideas-list

Senior Lecturer: Department Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology
University of Pretoria, Private Bag X20, Hatfield, 0028, South Africa
email: victoria.rautenbach at up.ac.za  Web: www.up.ac.za/cgis
Tel: +27 12 420 3489  Mobile: +27 72 569 8916