[postgis-devel] Code formatting digging in

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu Mar 1 07:33:14 PST 2018

>> On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 05:49:59PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

>> > https://github.com/postgis/postgis/blob/svn-trunk/STYLE#L27
>>
>>  I'm perfectly fine with spirit, though others may feel differently.

> I'm fine with the spirit, it's just the implementation which lacks:
> when we tried, the "run astyle" step produced different output for different people.
How about we don't run astyle or just run once in a while (as we've been doing) and have someone tasked to do it stuck with some version of astryl, or just relegate it to a bot.
I'd rather not even have to have the hassle of running astyle.  I was all happy with editorconfig as it did not
slow down my workflow or require one more thing for my fading memory to remember to do.

I'm still lost at this obsession of perfectly consistent formatting.  As Bborie mentioned, I'm more upset about our inconsistent naming of functions than if someone did

if (){
}
Instead of

if ()
{
}

Or -- well this one kinda bugs me
if ()
  Dosomething();

> Do you think a C++ compiler is too big of a dependency to add to PostGIS ? As that'd give us a non-moving astyle implementation for all to use, and we would not need to change that STYLE
> procedure too much.

YES