[postgis-devel] Aggregate STYPE

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Mar 6 01:08:51 PST 2018

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 12:16:47PM -0500, Regina Obe wrote:

> One more thing, make sure to note it in the NEWS that it's a breaking change.

One more thing, from Dronie: put dropped signatures in
postgis/postgis_drop_after.sql or upgrades will leave removed
functions around, see https://drone.osgeo.org/postgis/postgis/1030/2

> It's a breaking change because it requires drop and recreate of all
> the aggregates so anyone that has views tied to the aggs, which seems
> a surprising number of people do
> Will have to drop their views before upgrade and recreate after upgrading.

If anyone feels brave enough we could even tweak the upgrade script to
change STYPE of aggregates "live" (w/out DROP/CREATE). If there's a
way to do that we'll then have to move the "Changed" comment above the
STYPE itself (I did something similar for OPERATOR CLASS).