[postgis-devel] 答复: [SoC] Proposal for geospatial data viewer inpgAdmin4 for PostGIS

董林 dl at whu.edu.cn
Wed Mar 21 23:09:34 PDT 2018

 If you have started the work, I can help you. If you want to get a viewer right now, you can use QGIS, Grass GIS, Udig or use GeoServer and its layer previewer. The most urgent work I think is to rewrite functions to enable Postgres 9.6+’s parallel query feature (and for Postgres on Hadoop in the future).

Our company uses Postgres+PostGIS as the main spatial database, most of our products rely on them. It seems strange that a GISer complain about these things (pgAdmin4):
 No hint on invalid SQLs (version 2.1 is much better)
 Can not export query results(copy to)
 Can not import/export table data from/to text files(copy from/to)
 Can not backup/restore specified tables(pg_dump/pg_restore)
 No psql and shp2pgsql short cut
 A huge installer (150M+.  PostgreSQL 9.5 with pgAdmin 3 is 60+M, PostgresSQL 10.3 with pgAdmin4 is 160+M)
 Starts slow (pgAdmin4.2 cost 30 seconds vs pgAdmin3 cost 5s)

pgAdmin4 must change greately in the future or it will be a failure, I guess. May be an independent viewer is a good choice, but it must be small and smart.