[postgis-devel] performance test suite

Björn Harrtell bjorn.harrtell at gmail.com
Tue May 1 10:05:12 PDT 2018

Hi devs,

In recent times I've been pondering on about how to make a sensible test
suite specifically for performance. Hacking/extending run_test.pl to
accommodate for this has been the only suggested path forward but to me
it's a dead end mostly because of perl (sorry)-

The reason why this has become a to me apparent missing thing is due to:

1. My own work on https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/4076.

2. The recently discovered large performance regression of ST_Union tracked
by https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/4075. Even if it's in GEOS and
could perhaps be performance tested there, I think it would not be wrong to
also performance test ST_Union without consideration of underlying
implementation.

Any additional thoughts on the subject? do it in perl or don't do it? :)

Regards,

/Björn