[postgis-devel] [postgis-users] Large GeoTIFF ingestion by PostGIS

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Thu May 3 13:32:29 PDT 2018

Storing a large raster in the database as a single raster record is pretty much out of the question.  You'd quickly exceed the max rowxcol pixel allowed.  I forget exactly what that limit is.  In addition  the spatial index on the rasters would be useless so any join operation you do or filtering by spatial location will be painfully slow.

What kind of operations are you planning to do with the rasters?  That will determine the tile size you should use.

128x128 is most suitable for intensive analysis of small areas.   If you are doing less granular stuff like just unioning or clipping rasters, then you'd probably want to go with higher pixel sizes.  I tend to use 256x256 and rarely exceed 1000x1000

Out-db operations I haven't done benchmarks recently on it, but some operations are faster with it than in-db and some are faster without-db.

Generally processes like converting to other raster formats, tilling, and clipping as I recall are faster without-db. Operations like reclass / map algebra flavor of things are slower without-db.