<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math";
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
{font-family:Aptos;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
{mso-style-priority:99;
color:blue;
text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle18
{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
font-family:"Aptos",sans-serif;
color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=EN-US link=blue vlink=purple style='word-wrap:break-word'><div class=WordSection1><p class=MsoNormal>Javier,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>We’ve been hesitant to touch this table to increase it. I know someone else requested this.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Our feeling is the proj.db should be the authoritative source for most of these.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>I there a reason you wouldn’t add this to proj directly? The issue with putting it in postgis spatial_ref_sys is if you use your system beyond postgis<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>You’d have to duplicate the entry anyway.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>But I am and I think others were concerned for many users especially those who don’t need these defs elsewhere, it’s easier to edit postgis.spatial_ref_sys,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>PostGIS for since I think 3.0 has delegated most stuff to the proj.db table and just uses spatial_ref_sys auth_srid to look up the record in proj.db and largely ignores what is in srtext/proj4text columns.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>I have to check the auth_name. I think we used to ignore what was in auth_name and assumed any auth_srid matched up with auth_name = epsg, but that I think changed somewhere across the line.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Paul,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>If per chance you have remember or have the energy to chime in on this, that would be much appreciated.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Thanks,<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Regina<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><div style='border:none;border-left:solid blue 1.5pt;padding:0in 0in 0in 4.0pt'><div><div style='border:none;border-top:solid #E1E1E1 1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in'><p class=MsoNormal><b><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'>From:</span></b><span style='font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif'> Javier Jimenez Shaw <j1@jimenezshaw.com> <br><b>Sent:</b> Wednesday, September 9, 2026 7:09 AM<br><b>To:</b> postgis-devel@lists.osgeo.org<br><b>Subject:</b> WKT2 in PostGIS<o:p></o:p></span></p></div></div><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Hi<br><br>In the new PROJ release 9.9.0 that will be released soon, the latest version of EPSG is included.<br>All European realizations are included in the WKT2 of any CRS using the ETRS89 datum ensemble.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>This is an example of EPSG:25830, with 4264 chars.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal> <a href="https://epsg.org/crs/wkt/id/25830">https://epsg.org/crs/wkt/id/25830</a><o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>If you format it a bit nicely it goes up to 4874. And this is just an example.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>I know that this one can be expressed just with the code. However some people (including me) need to define a CRS that is not defined in EPSG. For that we are using WKT2.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>I realized today that in PostGIS the table containing the CRS has fields limited to 2048 chars, in particular "srtext".<br><a href="https://postgis.net/docs/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#spatial_ref_sys_table">https://postgis.net/docs/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#spatial_ref_sys_table</a><br><br><span style='font-family:"Courier New"'>CREATE TABLE spatial_ref_sys (<br> srid INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,<br> auth_name VARCHAR(256),<br> auth_srid INTEGER,<br> srtext VARCHAR(2048),<br> proj4text VARCHAR(2048)<br>)</span><br><br>If I have to define a CRS with WKT2 because I need some features only available in WKT2, it may not work in PostGIS. Am I right?<br><br>Thank you.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>Javier.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal><o:p> </o:p></p><p class=MsoNormal>PS this was first asked in <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2026-September/012183.html">https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2026-September/012183.html</a><o:p></o:p></p></div></div></body></html>