<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body style="overflow-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">Why wouldn’t we just change those column definitions from varchar(N) to text? <br id="lineBreakAtBeginningOfMessage"><div><br><blockquote type="cite"><div>On Sep 9, 2026, at 8:47 AM, Regina Obe <lr@pcorp.us> wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div><meta charset="UTF-8"><div class="WordSection1" style="page: WordSection1; caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: HelveticaNeue; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Javier,<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">We’ve been hesitant to touch this table to increase it. I know someone else requested this.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Our feeling is the proj.db should be the authoritative source for most of these.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">I there a reason you wouldn’t add this to proj directly? The issue with putting it in postgis spatial_ref_sys is if you use your system beyond postgis<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">You’d have to duplicate the entry anyway.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">But I am and I think others were concerned for many users especially those who don’t need these defs elsewhere, it’s easier to edit postgis.spatial_ref_sys,<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">PostGIS for since I think 3.0 has delegated most stuff to the proj.db table and just uses spatial_ref_sys auth_srid to look up the record in proj.db and largely ignores what is in srtext/proj4text columns.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">I have to check the auth_name. I think we used to ignore what was in auth_name and assumed any auth_srid matched up with auth_name = epsg, but that I think changed somewhere across the line.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Paul,<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">If per chance you have remember or have the energy to chime in on this, that would be much appreciated.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Thanks,<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Regina<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="border-width: medium medium medium 1.5pt; border-style: none none none solid; border-color: currentcolor currentcolor currentcolor blue; border-image: none; padding: 0in 0in 0in 4pt;"><div><div style="border-width: 1pt medium medium; border-style: solid none none; border-color: rgb(225, 225, 225) currentcolor currentcolor; border-image: none; padding: 3pt 0in 0in;"><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><b><span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;">From:</span></b><span style="font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif;"><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Javier Jimenez Shaw <j1@jimenezshaw.com><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span><br><b>Sent:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>Wednesday, September 9, 2026 7:09 AM<br><b>To:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>postgis-devel@lists.osgeo.org<br><b>Subject:</b><span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span>WKT2 in PostGIS<o:p></o:p></span></div></div></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Hi<br><br>In the new PROJ release 9.9.0 that will be released soon, the latest version of EPSG is included.<br>All European realizations are included in the WKT2 of any CRS using the ETRS89 datum ensemble.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">This is an example of EPSG:25830, with 4264 chars.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"> <a href="https://epsg.org/crs/wkt/id/25830" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;">https://epsg.org/crs/wkt/id/25830</a><o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">If you format it a bit nicely it goes up to 4874. And this is just an example.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">I know that this one can be expressed just with the code. However some people (including me) need to define a CRS that is not defined in EPSG. For that we are using WKT2.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">I realized today that in PostGIS the table containing the CRS has fields limited to 2048 chars, in particular "srtext".<br><a href="https://postgis.net/docs/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#spatial_ref_sys_table" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;">https://postgis.net/docs/using_postgis_dbmanagement.html#spatial_ref_sys_table</a><br><br><span style="font-family: "Courier New";">CREATE TABLE spatial_ref_sys (<br> srid INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,<br> auth_name VARCHAR(256),<br> auth_srid INTEGER,<br> srtext VARCHAR(2048),<br> proj4text VARCHAR(2048)<br>)</span><br><br>If I have to define a CRS with WKT2 because I need some features only available in WKT2, it may not work in PostGIS. Am I right?<br><br>Thank you.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">Javier.<o:p></o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;"><o:p> </o:p></div><div style="margin: 0in; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Aptos, sans-serif;">PS this was first asked in <a href="https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2026-September/012183.html" style="color: blue; text-decoration: underline;">https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/proj/2026-September/012183.html</a></div></div></div></div></blockquote></div><br></body></html>