[postgis] new Functions/ Function changes(Calculating centroids)

Hisaji ONO ono96 at fa2.so-net.ne.jp
Thu Aug 2 22:05:47 PDT 2001

Hi.

 I don't know OGC spec.

 But I have a couple of questions about your getting centroids method.

 Do you consider concave polygons for calculating centroids? For some of
them, centroids by "average location " maybe exist outside of  polygons.

 For multipolygons, "average all the points on all the outer rings" doesn't
seem to always exist within multipolygons. If not, in some cases, centroids
will exist within smaller ones of multipolygons. I don't think smaller
polygon's centroid is representative  of multipolygon without any other info
or knowledge, for example, Vancouver Island, which has Province capital,
Victoria, in BC province .

 I think larger polygon should has a centroid within a multipolygon.

   How do you think?