[postgis] A demonstration (or better) client

John Reid jgreid at uow.edu.au
Fri Aug 3 00:18:03 PDT 2001

  Greetings all,

Comments below.

Timothy H. Keitt wrote:

>John Reid wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'snt there some GPL/LGPL code in postgresql's contrib directory?  ...
>>Yep. In contrib the array, string, and userlock modules have GPL headers
>>in the READMEs, as well as src/interfaces/odbc (LGPL) and
>>src/interfaces/perl5 (LGPL or Artistic).  So a change in licence to BSD
>>style is probably is not necessary.  Still need to check though - I
>>cannot quickly find confirmation in the copyright notices for the
>>distribution.
>>
>>However these make no mention of GPL code.  For that matter there is no
>>information on licencing in pgsql/contrib/README.  However, from the
>>debian postgresql-contrib docs (/usr/doc/postgresql-contrib/copyright):
>>
>>It was downloaded from
>><ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql.7.0.2.tar.gz>
>>
>>Copyright.  The following copyright applies to the entire distribution:
>>
>> PostgreSQL Data Base Management System (formerly known as Postgres, then
>> as Postgres95).
>>
>> Copyright (c) 1994-7 Regents of the University of California
>>
>> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
>> documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
>>agreement
>> is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this
>> paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all copies.
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>Confused yet?  I am ...
>>
>>cheers,
>>John
>>
>Me too.  Does it violate the GPL to use postgis with postgresql?
>
>T.

I'm no licence lawyer, but it seems to me from what I can remember of the GPL that the key part is other software cannot depend on GPL software without violating the GPL.  However interfacing is fine i.e. as long as the potential is there to use non-GPL software to perform the same task, no problems.  However in this case we have PostGIS (GPL) depending on BSD (no usage restrictions apart from attribution), so I can't see any problems.  Again, let me stress that I am no expert on this (I find it hard to simultaneously believe in two apparently contradictory world views after my first cup of coffee, which seems to be a prerequisite ability for lawyers ;-).

Then we get something like the CORBA component model which is going to make all of this a real nightmare :-(

However, I wonder if it needs to be raised with the POstgreSQL folks that as there is GPL code in the distribution, this should be mentioned in the documentation accompanying the postgresql source.  Any idea?

john reid                                    e-mail: jgreid at uow.edu.au <mailto:jgreid at uow.edu.au>
technical officer                               building 41, room G02A
school of geosciences                          phone: +61 02 4221 3963
university of wollongong                         fax: +61 02 4221 4250
nsw  2522  australia

uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen.  more questions!
                                                       -mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM