[postgis] Next Level Redux

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Aug 14 17:26:52 PDT 2001

Rob Hranac wrote:
> I am
> not sure if this is what you mean by getting PostGIS up to OpenGIS
> compliance or are you interested in the Simple Features Specification for
> SQL.  Either way, let me know what you think.  I have been talking to Frank
> Warnerdam about this, who I believe is an associate of yours, if I am
> reading things correctly.

If by associate you mean "another damned Canadian", yes. :) Frank is an
open-source GIS fixture, and we newcomers owe alot to him already.

By bringing PostGIS up to spec, I mean finishing all the Simple Features
for SQL functions specified by OpenGIS. These include some very hard
functions, like intersection, unions and buffers. Doing that work is the
other half of having an OpenGIS spatial database. The first half,
supporting the input/output formats and the easier accessors functions,
and having spatial indexing, is already in PostGIS.

--
      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey