[postgis] Next Level Redux

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 14 17:45:26 PDT 2001

Paul Ramsey wrote:

>Implementing the Web Feature Server is something I have been thinking
>about for a while, and there are two ways of thinking about it.
>
>One is the way Frank is probably thinking of, which is to use the WFS as
>an abstraction layer for a bunch of different data sources. This makes
>great sense for his OGR library, which is already an abstraction layer.
>A WFS based on OGR gets all the OGR-supported data sets for free.

Paul,

Certainly I am eventually interested in an OGR based WFS; though; I wouldn't
really be in a strong position to implement transactional capabilities
well.  This
works best when run against a real database - PostGIS in this case.

>I am also interested to hear what people think about WFS architectures:
>long-running processes, or one-shot CGI scripts? Probably the best
>possible performance would be from an Apache module, but that might be
>alot more work than is necessary, given that the parsing overhead for
>the client dealing with GML (!) results will probably vastly outweigh
>the retrieval/transformation overhead for the server.

It would depend on your language of implementation.  Because so much is
separated out into the database which has it's own concept a long running
process for maintaining some state and caching I would hope a light cgi-bin
impelementation would be fine.  Of course, I don't know too much about
how Java stuff is done in a web environment.  You certainly don't want to
start a JVM for each call.

>Of course, any WFS implementation will have the same problem which
>PostGIS has now: no clients! :)

Well, there are a few WFS clients in existance now - including GeoMedia
(or at
least an upcoming GeoMedia) but you are right that there wouldn't be too
much.

Best regards,