[postgis] 'real' contains, touches, overlaps etc.

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Tue Aug 28 09:17:59 PDT 2001

> One question:
> Is somebody actually working on the following operators ???
> contain(g1,g2)
> touches(g1,g2)
> overlaps(g1,g2)

We're waiting for the JTS (java topology suite) with is a robust
implementation of a bunch of operators and function, including the
above.  JTS is scheduled to be released in Sept, but it needs to be
translated to C++ before it can go in postgis.

> These functions are important for me (at least concerning the polygon type),
> and so I just started implementing them (based on the postgis-cvs version).
> I don't know how far I get but, if there's another one doing the same, please
> let me know (because of the reinvented wheels ;-)

Go for it!  You might want to look at the distance functions for a
starting place.  There is also the truely_inside() function.

dave

Do you need to encrypt all your online transactions? Secure corporate intranets? Authenticate your Web sites? Whatever
security your site needs, you'll find the perfect solution here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Bre3tC/Q56CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM