[postgis] Error while joining geo-columns

Dave Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Fri Aug 31 09:10:54 PDT 2001

> I take back all I said yesterday concerning the problem described above.
> Today I did it all again and it worked! I guess there was a problem between
> the version of the libpostgis.so.0.5 (I switched yesterday a few times
> between CVS and 0.5 and maybe I forgot to 'make install' something).
> I think the same could happen if I created the DB under 0.5 and
> used it in 0.6!?

Yes, thats 100% correct.  0.5 and 0.6 ("CVS") are NOT binary
compatible.  The information about the Spatial Reference System had to
be added to the GEOMETRY data structure (it also needed to be added to
the GiST indexing).  So if you use 0.5 data with 0.6 code (or
visa-versa) everything will screw up!

> But in fact, everthing works fine even when I don't use the AddGeometryColumn
> stuff (just importing the shp2pgsql created file)

No, you can get away with doing the AddGeometryColumn stuff because
non-spatial-referenced GEOMETRYs are given an SRID of -1.
You ought to use the AddGeometryColumn method since its what the OpenGIS
spec says you should use.  Plus, applications may assume that you have
properly setup your database & tables.  I know its a bit of a pain the
you-know-what, but it will become second nature to you very quickly.

dave

Make IT and computer Web sites more customer-friendly
Get a $10 AMAZON.COM Gift Certificate
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JjDtZD/Hd6CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM