[postgis] distance(geometry,geometry) function

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 24 12:30:03 PDT 2001

"Timothy H. Keitt" wrote:
> Not in general, no.  This is all made more complex by the fact that
> postgis points and polygons are not seperate SQL types, but are instead
> mixed together within a single column of type "geometry", so you have to
> make your function accept all types of geometry objects.  I'm curious
> why you chose this path instead of making each geometric type a
> different SQL type as with the built-in postgresql geometry types?

Tim,

Dave may want to add to this, but the approach of having a base geometry
type is essentially inherited from the OpenGIS simple features geometry
model.  In particular, for OGC simple features it is necessary to be
able to mix geometry types within a given column in a given table.

If we implement the full Simple Features for SQL metadata (via auxilary
tables) there will be a mechanism to indicate that particular tables
are restricted to a particular subtype in the total set of possible
geometry types.

>  Come
> to think of it, I'm not sure what postgis provides that the built-in
> types don't (except maybe much faster queries?).

Holes in polygons, geometry collections and 3d (really 2.5D) support
are the obvious extensions available in the PostGIS geometry model.

Best regards,

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think! http://promo2.yahoo.com/sbin/Yahoo!_BusinessNewsletter/survey.cgi
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/PhFolB/TM