[postgis] To Do List

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Mon Jun 11 08:18:48 PDT 2001

> MapServer already can use "OGR datasources", which currently includes a
> quick hack on libpq for simple features style vectors in postgres.  I would
> like to "catch up" the postgres driver in OGR to match the schema maintained
> by postgis, so that MapServer can use this link to utilize postgis.

When do you think this'll get started? Dave is going to be adding some
support functions around wkb() and using binary cursors which should
make the data transfer faster, rather than parsing well-known text. Also
hopefully an 'extent()' function.

> It may make sense to use OGR as a basis for some postgis related utilities,
> and as a data loader/unloader for some applications.

Jeff is writing a loader/dumper (using shapelib, tee hee) so we're kind
of using OGR already. Once OGR supports PostGIS, a simple wrapper to OGR
will make more sense.

Paul