[postgis] Fwd: GISList: PostGIS

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jun 29 10:52:53 PDT 2001

Thanks Felipe,
I told Glenn some stuff about PostGIS from our perspective, but he was
also interested in any user's perspectives. I told him it might be a
little early for there to be many serious PostGIS installations (1 month
after first release after all) but if anyone has some in-the-field
experience I am sure he would be interested to hear it (as would we!).
Paul

"Felipe G. Nievinski" wrote:

> Hi.
> I think you would like to know it: the message below was posted this week in the GeoComm GIS-l.
>
> bye.
> Felipe.
>
> *********** BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE  ***********
>
> On 27/06/01 at 15:09 Glenn Letham <editor at geocomm.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >Is anyone familiar with PostGIS?
> >
> >Just curious. I found some information about it at
> >http://postgis.refractions.net/
> >Looks kind of interesting.
> >

> >From the website... "PostGIS adds support for geographic
> >objects to the
> >PostgreSQL object-relational database. In effect, PostGIS
> >"spatially enables" the PostgreSQL server, allowing it to be
> >used as a backend spatial database for geographic
> >information systems (GIS), much like ESRI's SDE or
> >Oracle's Spatial extension."
> >
> >Regards
> >Glenn
> >
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >Glenn Letham, Managing Editor
> >The GeoCommunity
> >http://www.GeoComm.com
> >&
> >The WirelessDeveloperNetwork
> >http://www.WirelessDevNet.com
> >
> >850-897-0110
> >30.517ºN 86.482ºW
> >
> >The web's largest GIS News Wire!
> >email: editor at geocomm.com
> >Subject=subscribe daily newsfeed
> >
> >Career Center - Jobs & Resumes
> >http://careers.geocomm.com
> >http://careers.wirelessdevnet.com
> >Setup a GeoCommunity Account and have access to FAST DataDownloads
> >and Premium Career Posting at a discounted rate!
> >https://www.geocomm.com/cgi-bin/accounts/login
> >
> >On-line Archives available at
> >http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/community/lists/

      __