[postgis] FW: Postgresql && Cygwin

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Wed Nov 7 09:14:02 PST 2001

FYI

I had this step by step instalation guide pointed out to me recently
http://www.ejip.net/faq/postgresql_win_setup_faq.jsp

Here are the additional instructions for PostGIS that need
to be done after installing basic postgresql per above link

1) elect to download the source for Postgresql from the
     Cygwin setup program.  This will be installed into /usr/src
2) download the PostGIS source tarball
3) cd to postgresql__src_root  '/usr/src/postgres-XXX/contrib'
4) extract the PostGIS tarball 'tar -xzvf $PATH_TO / postgis-X.X.X.tar.gz'
5) cd to postgres source root directory
6) configure postgresql
./configure  --enable-multibyte --with-python --with-CXX --prefix=/usr --sys
confdir=/etc --docdir=/usr/doc/postgresql
7) make
< we only need to make postgres so as to get the make system setup >
< you do not need to install this local version USE the precompiled one
   that is available with the Cygwin installation >
8) cd to contrib / postgis-X-X-X
9) follow instructions in README-postgis

You should now have a working Cygwin PostGIS system

Cheers

Norman