[postgis] Gut feeling question about performance

Petri J. Riipinen petri.riipinen at nic.fi
Thu Oct 25 10:24:38 PDT 2001

Paul & folks,

>Gut feeling is response will be on the order of one second. It will not
>be instantaneous, there will be a slight pause. That is my guess. I
>could be completely wrong :)

Ok, we'll see about that...;) I will test it latest at the weekend and let
you know what kind of performance I achieve.

Anyway, one second sounds pretty nice, I would be satisfied with it.

>Memory is so cheap right now!! Can I assume your memory problem is
>because your motherboard is too old to take modern DIMMS? Really, noone
>has any excuse for not buying memory right now (heck, I think I'll go
>out and buy some this afternoon).

Well, the thing is that my application will be used in a mobile environment
(car, boat...) and it will be executed on a small (though modern) SBC that
contains a 300MHz Geode CPU and one 128M SODIMM-socket (Geode = Cyrix
MediaGX, so it has inbuilt graphics as well, practically everything is
fitted into the small 10x14cm board). The whole system will be packaged
into an aluminium box that fits nicely into the hidden compartments of a
car. There will be also a screen with resistive touchscreen to control the
system.

So that's all the memory the SBC will accept. The hardware is pretty much
fixed, and if I want to expand it, the next step would be to change into
400-600 MHz Crusoe-based SBC, but the memory would still stay the same. If
I really want to move up, then Pentium >800MHz is possible and possibly
with more memory as well, but that will be much more expensive than the
Geode-based board, which costs around $270 + 128M memory.

The system will have an inbuilt GPS-module as well, so I the application
will in fact be used as a GPS-navigation + route guiding system.

Believe me, I would buy more RAM if the board just would accept it...;)

Regards,
- Petri
   Petri J. Riipinen
petri.riipinen at nic.fi

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM