[postgis] PostGIS Installations?

kelly harmon harmonk00 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 00:01:53 PDT 2001

We (Byers Engineering...www.byers.com) are evaluating
using PostGIS for real work.

Byers writes software used by telecoms and utility
companies.  The existing software we sell is based on
IGDS design files combined with pretty much any
relational database.  This is written in C++.

HOWEVER, the newer stuff that's being developed is
written in Java and is mainly geared to work with
Oracle Spatial.

BUT, I noticed that it took very little effort to get
it to run on top of Postgres using the built in
geometry stuff.  Then I came across the PostGIS stuff
which was even better.

So, now we are looking at supporting Oracle as the
primary target database, and Postgres + PostGIS as an
option for smaller shops unwilling to shell out
thousands and thousands and thousands for oracle.

We will see.

While I'm here, let me say (again) that the PostGIS
stuff is really great!

--- Paul Ramsey <pramsey at refractions.net> wrote:
> Hi folks. I'll probably make this query every few
> months, please bear
> with me. :)
> Are there any active PostGIS installations out there
> being used for real
> work?
> Is anyone evaluating it for use in real work?
> I am putting together a presentation on open source
> GIS, so references
> to people using PostGIS would be a nice kicker to
> add. (Particularly
> since the project is barely 3 months old.)
>
> Thanks much,
> Paul
>
> PS - Apologies for not getting an official 0.6 out,
> but if I don't get
> (a) this presentation (b) a proposal out the door, I
> will be remiss in
> doing my job to keep our business healthy. I
> promise, not getting it out
> gnaws at my soul :)

http://im.yahoo.com

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM