[postgis] AddGeometryColumn fails -- pgsql 7.1.3 and postgis 0.6.2 okay?

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at lignum.com
Tue Jan 15 08:22:14 PST 2002

I can see how the difference you caught was subtle.  It have done
everything as postgres user and it appears to have at least got me past the
addgeometry hurdle - though my logs didn't look much different at all.  Now
onto getting it some shapefile data and working with mapserver....
Thanks Paul.

                    Paul Ramsey
                    <pramsey at refrac       To:     postgis at yahoogroups.com
                    tions.net>            cc:
                                          Fax to:
                    01/14/2002            Subject:     Re: [postgis] AddGeometryColumn fails  -- pgsql 7.1.3 and
                    05:47 PM               postgis 0.6.2  okay?
                    Please respond
                    to postgis

Ah.
Took me two looks to see it.
In your postgis.sql upload, note that it failed 1/2 way through, when
you try to alter the opclass. The user you are uploading postgis.sql
with does not have system privileges. Try uploading postgis.sql as the
postgres user, or give your user system privs. If the postgis.sql upload
fails you get none of the necessary function defs, and hence, no
functionality.
Paul

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> [...]
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:782: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:789: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:796: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:803: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:810: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:817: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:819: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:827: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:833: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:839: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:845: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:851: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:857: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:863: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:866: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> psql:postgis.sql:867: NOTICE:  current transaction is aborted, queries
> ignored until end of transaction block
> *ABORT STATE*
> COMMIT
> testgis=# drop table gtest;
> DROP
> testgis=# create table gtest (ID int4, NAME varchar(20) );
> CREATE
> testgis=# SELECT AddGeometryColumn('testgis','gtest','geom',
> -1,'LINESTRING',2);
> ERROR:  Function 'addgeometrycolumn(unknown, unknown, unknown, int4,
> unknown, int4)' does not exist
>         Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument

      __
     /
     | Paul Ramsey
     | Refractions Research
     | Email: pramsey at refractions.net
     | Phone: (250) 885-0632
     \_

Sponsored by VeriSign - The Value of Trust
Pinpoint the right security solution for your company - FREE
Guide from industry leader VeriSign gives you all the facts.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pCuuSA/WdiDAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM