[postgis-users] Re: wkb4j

James Macgill j.macgill at geography.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jul 29 03:52:19 PDT 2002

At 20:46 27/07/2002, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>WKB4J is a small Java toolkit designed to parse WKB data stored in a
>PostGIS database and convert it into Java objects. WKB4J implements the
>Simple Features Specification for SQL as defined by the OpenGIS consortium.
This message is more appropriate for our developer list so I am copying the
response there.

>WKB4J is lean and mean, meaning that speed and reduced memory footprint
>where the primary concern. WKB4J is approximately 3 to 10 times faster
>than going through the WKT format.

That's excellent news, and will definitely make using PostGIS a far more
attractive proposition.

>One other problem is that there are many Java geographical toolkit around,
>so WKB4J was built with portability in mind. Thoses concerns are
>highlighted in the design of the library. Right now, WKB4J supports the
>following toolkits: ...
>* JTS

Rob Hranac mentioned your project during a recent developer IRC session and
I think he mentioned that someone was working on integrating it with our
PostGIS module, but I can't remember who (it may even have been
you).  Given that GeoTool2 is JTS based I can't imagine that there would be
very much involved.

Robs away for the moment so I can't confirm the details.  That said, if its
as straightforward as I imagine it would be then I may look at updating the
module myself.

Many thanks for your hard work, it is much appreciated.

All the best

James

--
James Macgill