[postgis-users] WKB4J

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 29 10:16:49 PDT 2002

Dave Blasby wrote:
 > David Garnier wrote:
 >
 >>> Are you handling 3d points?  PostGIS (and several other WKB-producing Open Source
 >>> projects) are adding 80x (128 decimal) to the WKB type and then putting in 3
 >>> doubles for points (x,y,z).
 >>
 >> Well right now it doesn't, but it would just require one switch case and 3 more
 >> methods in the Factory interface. Do you have a reference where I could learn more
 >> about this?

David,

The proposal by Adam Gawne-Cain on 2.5D simple features is what we have been
using.  It is discussed at:

   http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/opengis/twohalfdsf.html

It was submitted to the simple features revision working group years ago,
but I don't know what came of it.  I certainly don't think it was incorporated
into the simple features specification.

Nevertheless it provides a defacto methodology for us to follow who need
2.5D features.

Best regards,