[postgis-users] Accessing PostGIS from ArcView

Armin Burger armin.burger at libero.it
Sun Jun 9 12:56:55 PDT 2002

Hi all,

I have been working on an extension for ArcView 3 to access PostGIS data. At
the moment the extension offers the functionality to

* Retrieve PostGIS data as shapefile and load them into ArcView,
  including data refresh
* Re-project PostGIS data and create shapefile
* Identify and editing of attribute information directly on the database

If you are interested, you can download the extension including source code
and needed libraries at

http://digilander.iol.it/arminburger/download/avpgcon.zip

The database access is without ODBC, using the libpq.dll functionality.

Future plans are to implement a visualization of PG data as graphics in
ArcView (instead of temporary shapefiles). The only part missing for that is
a fast and reliable algorithm to convert PostGIS geometry for different types
into ArcView Avenue representation. If anyone has already finished such work
successfully and would like to contribute, I would be glad to include it.

The extension uses the pgsql2shp.exe to create the shapefiles. That will
always open a command window what is not very elegant. To avoid this, the
compilation of a library instead of the executable would be necessary. Can
anybody tell me how much effort it would be to change the C code in order to
compile as library?

Any feedback is very welcome.

Armin

--
 Armin Burger
 Via della fiera, 7 -  I-39050 Cornaiano BZ -  Italy

PS: I hope the Refractions people don't mind me using their elefantino logo
in one dialog, I liked it too much.