[postgis-users] Accessing PostGIS from ArcView

Armin Burger armin.burger at libero.it
Wed Jun 12 05:33:33 PDT 2002

Hisaji,

I know that determining some database values could cause errors
depending on the installation. I will have a closer look at potential
error possibilities. And add at least a comment to the readme about
preassumed tables/fields. I always used shp2pgsql for the initial
database creation and added other tables later with the same structure.

To the second question (i hope I understood you right): When loading a
PostGIS theme as first theme into the view then the view has no really
valid extent. Therefore then all values of the table are loaded (i.e.,
no spatial query is sent to the database). If there is already  a theme
in the view, then there is an extent and only the data for this spatial
extent are loaded from the db.

Armin