[postgis] JTS integration and OGR

Ferdinando Villa villa at cbl.umces.edu
Wed Mar 6 13:21:39 PST 2002

Sounds great - yes, I'd be happy to be kept in the loop and see if your
workplan meets all needs here. The timeline sounds ok to me and I can
find some programmer time to commit to this with funds of my own if we
share enough of the benefits. My only requirement to commit resources to
this would be that the API is also usable outside PostGis - my OGR-based
spatial domain needs an intelligence of its own as well as being able to
go in and out of Postgres when Postgres support is linked in - but I
don't think you guys want anything else, let me know if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the answer and in touch soon,
ferdinando

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 16:12, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Everyone is having the same bright idea at the same time. :)
>
> The story so far. Refractions is teaming up with the University of
> Victoria and Vivid Solutions on a joint research project to bring the
> JTS algorithms into PostGIS. We have a grant proposal into the BC
> Advanced Systems Institute. Refractions/Vivid will be providing cash and
> in-kind support to the project, UVic is providing a graduate student and
> academic support. In addition, it turns out that the Instituto Nacional
> de Pesquisas Espaciais of Brazil has similar goals -- they would like to
> see SFSQL compliance in PostGIS by the end of 2002, and are dedicating a
> graduate student and other support to that goal. We have discussed
> bringing the two projects together to work simultaneously on the same
> codebase and same workplan.
>
> It sounds like you have similar goals, Ferdinando. If your timeline is
> consistent with ours (kicking off at the beginning of the summer
> semester) perhaps you would be interested in being involved in the
> project.
>
> I will be posting more information about this project if our ASI
> proposal is accepted.
>
> Paul
>
> Ferdinando Villa wrote:
> >
> >         I'm considering porting the core algorithms of JTS 1.1 to C++ to
> > implement the spatial layer of my Integrating Modelling Architecture
> > (prehistoric docs at http://www.integratedmodelling.org) and related
> > projects. I would like the result to be compatible with both OGR and
> > postgis - arguably a sound move for open source, plus I use OGR already
> > and need the spatial operators. I've seen the JTS issue come up for
> > Postgis, though, and I wonder whether JTS porting efforts are already
> > underway, or anyone has suggestions on how to maximize the benefits.
> > What do the postgis folks think? I'm keeping Frank Warmerdam in the loop
> > too - since JTS uses a plug-in precision model, I think we'll need an
> > intermediate layer of abstraction over the geometry classes anyway, but
> > I might be wrong. Any pointers appreciated.
> >

> --
>       __
>      /
>      | Paul Ramsey
>      | Refractions Research
>      | Email: pramsey at refractions.net
>      | Phone: (250) 885-0632
>      \_

Ferdinando Villa, Ph.D.                                   Research
Scientist
Institute of Ecological Economics                     University of
Maryland
P.O. Box 38, 20688 Solomons MD                         Phone: (410)
326-7446
326-7354

...dont' try to heal the world. You might be its disease. (F. Villa)

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM