[postgis] Re: Make error

kitty_tongue minor.gordon at cox.net
Tue Mar 12 16:16:23 PST 2002

Did he/you ever figure out this problem?  I am getting a similar
message with the latest release (0.6.2).  I followed the installation
instructions on the web site, put the postgis source in
/usr/local/src/postgresql/contrib/postgis-0.6.2, did 'make', and got

'Makefile:1:*** missing separator.  Stop.'

The first line of the Makefile is 'r)/src/Makefile.shlib', which I
assume is a reference to the Postgresql Makefile (shouldn't it be
../../src?)

The -cvs package won't even begin to compile.  I have a 'textbook'
installation of Postgresql.

Do I have a bad archive?  What's up?

--- In postgis at y..., Paul Ramsey <pramsey at r...> wrote:
> What version of PostGIS are you compiling? CVS or 0.5.1? Are you using
> GNU make? What is in fact in the makefile around line 8? This is
> probably a trivial problem with a quirky version of make.
>
> Düster Horst wrote:
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm new with PostGIS an I try to compile PostGIS, but make returns the
> > message:
> >
> > Make: Makefile: Must be a separator on line 8.  Stop.
> >
> > Can anyone help me??????
> >
> > My System:
> >
> > Compaq Alpha
> > tru64 4.0f
> >
> > The compilation of PostgreSQL works fine.
> >
> > With best regards
> >
> > Horst Düster
> >
> > Switzerland

> > postgis-unsubscribe at y...