[postgis] idea for postgis application

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Mar 13 15:49:56 PST 2002

Any interactive viewer would be sweeeeet, although Mac-only might be a
bummer for linux'ers like myself. The main issue I forsee w/ interactive
viewers is avoiding the "crushing load" problem when people are looking
at large extents on large large tables. (All streams in British
Columbia, for example.)

P.

Alex Rice wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 13, 2002, at 03:57 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>

> > Hi Alex,
> > Quite a few new terms to me in your statement.  What kind of a product,
> > i.e. with the end user are you dreaming up?
> > Sounds interesting nonetheless.
> > Tyler
>
> Sorry for all the jargon! I'll cc this to the list since you probably
> aren't the only one scratching your head over my post :-)
>
> Cocoa was formerly called OpenStep- it's a very rich API in Objective-C.
> Cocoa is proprietary, since Apple bought NextStep years ago.
> There is an open-source analog of Cocoa, named GNUStep. GNUStep is
> mainly a Unix thing.
>
> Cocoa has a vector graphics display system, named Quartz. In OS X the 2D
> graphics are based on Quartz and 3D graphics are OpenGL.
>
> Because Quartz is postscript-like, meaning vector graphics, it should be
> easy to render lines, polygons, shapes, etc. described in a postgis
> feature table.
>
> Cocoa supports most of the media formats that QuickTime supports, so it
> should be possible to write out the image in lots of interesting formats.
>
> What would it look like the the end user? In the simplest case it could
> just be a previewer- it would allow you to visualize a feature table,
> and turn layers on and off and so forth.
>
> Another scenario is to allow it to be scriptable or web-enabled to
> render images for a web application backend- kinda like mapserver or
> mapextreme or some of those products.
>
> Alex Rice, Software Developer
> Architectural Research Consultants, Inc.
> alex_rice at arc.to
> alrice at swcp.com

      __
     /