[postgis] idea for postgis application & Implications for GEOMETRY_COLUMNS

John Reid jgreid at uow.edu.au
Tue Mar 19 05:17:10 PST 2002

Just a quick thought.  What about storing the geometry for the layer (in
a seperate table?) at a reduced resolution?   Similar to the concept of
weeding.  I think this is the right term - essentially using a sliding
window to store only the points that fall outside the tolerance when the
line curves.  Anyone know of a tool that could do this?  I think the
ESRI algorithm just weeds points less than a specified distance from the
previous point, but I could be wrong about this (haven't used ArcInfo
much - I'm a sysadmin).   In any case this second approach would
probably work fine for display purposes until a filtering solution could
be implemented if the first option is a better one.

This approach could also be used to store multiple coordinate systems if
desired.  Another alternative might be to rework the internal storage
structures for geometry type (I know which alternative I prefer, for the
time being anyway ;-).

As far as table structures go, something along the lines of (this needs
more thought, but the general idea should be apparent.  Syntax is not
right either):

CREATE TABLE "a_feature_layer_data" (
    "f_id" unique_id,
    "f_name" text,
    "attr1"    atype,
    attr2 etc....
);

/* geometry storage kludge */
CREATE TABLE "a_feature_layer_geom"
    "f_id" unique_id,
    "min_scale" integer, /* original object = 0 (potential problems with
x/0 ?) - attribute needed if clustering used */
    "the_geom" geometry,
    ...other?...
);

/* better? Really wish PostgreSQL supported SQL:1999 ADT's here */
CREATE TABLE "a_feature_layer_geom"
    "f_id" unique_id,
    "the_geom-25000" geometry,
    "the_geom-1000000" geometry,
    "
    ...other?...
);

/* accessed for a particular scale as... */
CREATE VIEW "a_feature_layer" AS .... aflg.the_geom-25000

CLUSTER geom_scale_index ON a_feature_layer_geom;

The other alternative to cluster (this does some nasty things to
permissions and indexes - they are actually lost, assuming the docs are
correct) or multiple geometry columns is to have a seperate
feature_layer_geom table for each scale.  However this means that a
mapping from layer to geometry table is needed.  To me the logical place
for the extra information is in geometry_columns.

If this approach is taken, it would make sense to implement
geometry_columns as a view rather than a table (the alternative is to
inherit a pgis table from geometry_columns - not good in this instance
due to default behaviour of select - this can only be set manually per
session or globally for *all* databases).

This needs more thought, there might be a better way to do this -
especially as the "pgis_features" table is suspiciously looking like the
start of support for "catalogue services" (GSDI cookbook Ch 4.
http://www.gsdi.org/ ).  I'm currently trying to find out more about the
relationship between the draft ISO metadata and catalogue standards (DIS
19115 and 19110), OGC Catalog implementation specifications and
apparently there is also (related?) development of catalogs or
registries in the OGC Web Map/Feature Server efforts.  I'll report back
on this when I'm less confused....

CREATE TABLE "pgis_features" (
    "f_layer_id" unique_id,
    "f_layer_name" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "f_layer_desc" text,
    "f_table_catalog" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "f_table_schema" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "f_table_name" character varying(256) NOT NULL
);

CREATE TABLE "pgis_geometry_columns" (
    "f_table_catalog" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "f_table_schema" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "f_table_name" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "f_layer_id" uuid NOT NULL,  /* how to get around insert problem if
OGC compliant functions used to populate the table ?*/
    "f_geometry_column" character varying(256) NOT NULL,
    "coord_dimension" integer NOT NULL,
    "srid" integer NOT NULL,
    "type" character varying(30) NOT NULL,
    "is_proxy" integer NOT NULL,  /* original object = 0 (default?),
other codes for ??? */
    "min_display_scale" integer, /* original object = 0 (potential
problems with x/0 ?)*/
    "max_display_scale" integer, /* necessary? - if so better handled in
table defining layers for map views? */
    Constraint "gc_pk" Primary Key ("f_table_catalog", "f_table_schema",
"f_table_name", "f_geometry_column")
);

CREATE VIEW "geometry_columns" AS ....(OGC spec).

Eeek.  What a mess.  Hope it's not too confusing.  I'll look at this
again after some sleep....

john reid                                    e-mail: jgreid at uow.edu.au
technical officer                               building 41, room G02A
school of geosciences                          phone: +61 02 4221 3963
university of wollongong                         fax: +61 02 4221 4250
nsw  2522  australia

uproot your questions from their ground and the dangling roots will be
seen.  more questions!
                                                       -mentat zensufi

apply standard disclaimers as desired...

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/PhFolB/TM