[postgis-users] Who is using PostGIS and how?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Mar 27 11:37:22 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 08:42:51AM -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Wow, no responses at all the first time!

[ Did not see the question, it probably made the list for the first time. ]

> I want to be able to say "well, *this* kind of lunatic!"...

We are! :)

Right now we are developing a backend geolocation server
for a massive multiplayer game. People will have mobile devices
and their position will be recorded in the database.
The game engine queries the geolocation server.

The geolocation server part we are doing will be released
as Free Software so you will hear more about it when the game makes a splash
or from our announcement.

As part for the same game, we use postgis as a datarepository
for geoinformation which will be used to create a pseudo 3D game map.
Thus once you have data from navtech or other sources in the
postgis tables, normalised and rudimentarily simplified you can
run extraction commands from the 3d tools.

> I would also be interested to hear your reasons for selecting
> PostGIS over one of the commercial alternatives.

Btw, I consider PostGIS to be commercial software.
The main reasons to prefer it over proprietory software is
are the usual reasons for Free Software:

E.G:
     Better control about the software.
     The ability to fix or maintain it yourself.
     Shared development and testing.

--
Professional Service for Free Software                 (intevation.net)
The FreeGIS Project                                       (freegis.org)