[postgis-users] Just a summary of my installation problems and solutions

Wim Blanken w.blanken at 12move.nl
Tue Oct 15 07:47:47 PDT 2002

Hello users,

I saw a few messages/questions posted with problems i encountered installing postgis.

After one sleepless night is it now working beautifully here.

The first problem was that i could not compile postgis. This was solved by the simple solution to set USE_PG72 to 1 in the makefile. Just after the version check i inserted this setting.  Problem solved.
Then I could insert shapefiles into the database just fine. Then i wanted to query my database
using mapserver. The first message mapserver gave me was something like:

msPOSTGISLayerOpen(): Query error. msPOSTGISLayerOpen called but
unimplemented!

This was solved by using a mapserver binary that had postgis support compiled into it (duh!). But then i got another fine error message, something like:

msPOSTGISLayerOpen(): Error parsing POSTGIS connection information

This was more difficult because the error is not very specific.
I thought i could solve i by granting a specific user read only access to the specific data but it
did not do the trick. After a lot of reading and trying the problem was solved by executing mapserver from the same server that had postgis installed on it. It worked fine using the localhost host setting. So it was a host problem!!!!

Then I changed the configuration of postgresql in the pg_hba.conf file to accept connections from other computers in my home network ip-range. That did the trick. After that everything worked just fine. Maybe this step should be added to the windows installation file if someone is using mapserver
from another computer........

Regards,

Wim Blanken
The Netherlands