[postgis-users] Re: 3d support in postgis

Wolfgang Bär WBaer at gmx.de
Wed Oct 16 01:22:05 PDT 2002

Hi Chris,

thanks for your fast answer.

I know that the datatypes in postgis are 2.5d. But I thought maybe
the spatial index method is implemented with the 3d-Box datatype and
so could also be use with custom implemented fully 3d datatypes.

But after your answer its clear what I thought - if I want fully 3d
support I have to implement also the access method new and not only
the datatypes and operations.

Just now I am looking at different databases in the
object-relational and object-oriented field checking their
possibilities for extensibility for fully 3d spatial datatype
support for my research.

So at this time its not clear which database system I actually want
   to use. But if I decide me for PostgreSQL/PostGIS or if I will
try something out in PostGIS which might be of interest for the
PostGIS community I will let you know for sure.

Thanks,

Wolfgang