[postgis-users] Quoting table names in AddGeometryColumn()

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Mon Oct 21 09:53:31 PDT 2002

Frank,

I changed AddGeometryColumn() and DropGeometryColumn()  a little while ago so it
would quote the geometry column name and table names.   See CVS.  This means that
if you AddGeometryColumn() with the column name 'MyGeom' the column is 'MyGeom'
NOT 'mygeom' - so be carefull!!

There should be no problems with funny table or column names within postgis.  If
there are, its an easy fix - just tell me about them.

If you're using something like mapserver, you'll have to 'trick' it into using
quoted names:

DATA 'the_geom from (SELECT "MyGeometry" as the_geom, placename,oid FROM
mytable) as foo using unique oid using SRID=1234'

Otherwise I have to always quote column names (and table names) and that will
probably cause no end of trouble for folks.

dave