[postgis-users] configure error

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Tue Oct 22 04:34:18 PDT 2002

Roland Forster writes:

> I tried to configure postgis like it is explained in "The NON-UNIX User's
> Guide to Installing PostGIS on Windows".
> PostgreSQL was installed as a service and runs.
> The source code of PostgreSQL is also installed.
> And gcc, gcc2, gcc-mingw are available.
>
> When I try to configure the following message returns:
>
> checking for gcc... gcc

You have a VERY recent distribution of Cygwin
and I believe you will need to use gcc-2

% CC=gcc-2 CXX=c++-2 ./configure

or

% export CC="gcc-2"
% export CXX="c++-2"
% ./configure

> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O2 ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.

This could be related to ntsec being turned on by default in the latest
cygwin release or any of a host of other things.

The file config.log (created by configure) will contain more detailed error
messages. Look at that, and if the problem isn't obvious, post it to the
list

but first try using my configure invocation line above

Norman