[postgis-users] Building under FreeBSD

Craig Miller craig at millerfam.net
Tue Sep 10 22:28:24 PDT 2002

Hi guys,

I just got PostGIS to build under FreeBSD.  It is looking really good.
Thanks for taking the time to right the add-on to Postgres and open sourcing
it.

I had to do a number of odd things to get it to compile...  The only
significant item was that I had to add

include "machine/endian.h"

to postgis_debug.c and one other (don't remember which one).

Seems like I remember building everything OK a month ago, so I am wondering
if I did something that caused this dependency to suddenly appear.  I played
around with a lot of different postgres build types before settling on the
standard one in the FreeBSD ports collection (PostgreSQL 7.2.2).  Did one of
the Postgres headers in an older version define BYTE_ORDER?

Minor feedback on compiling JDBC -- instructions were a little sparse for a
novice.  There is for example no mention that you should compile Postgres
itself to have java support, or that you probably want it compiled to run as
a tcp service.  Not that this was hard to figure out, but if someone just
wanted to run PostGIS and had never built anything from source they would
probably not be able to do so from the provided instructions.  I had to
update the classpath to correctly reference the location of the postgres
jar.  Also the default build does not build the postgis jar which is
probably of interest to someone if they are building JDBC support.

Thanks again.  I am glad to be up and running.  Now to load a bunch of data
and start writing some client code!

--Craig