[postgis-users] Connection Prob: Mapserv -> PostGIS (was: shp2img OK, mapserver not OK)

Bill Wheaton gisgeek at nc.rr.com
Sat Feb 1 09:18:18 PST 2003

Listers:

This is a follow up to a request for help from last week.  I'm still
having problems getting mapserver to create an image from a postgis
data source.

PostGIS is working correctly.  Started with the -i option, can connect
to it on the command line and through phppgadmin.  So it is accepting
tcp/ip connections.

I have geometry in postGIS.  Ran shapefile loader.  Created indexes as
described in postGIS documentation.  Can query for geometry on command
line.

Mapserver is installed and working correctly.  Was built with postgis
support.  Generates images from shapefile data sources.

The layer portion of my  mapfile looks like this:

LAYER
      CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
      NAME "countries"
      CONNECTION "user=postgres dbname=test host=machine.domain.com"
      DATA "the_geom from cntry_tab"
      STATUS ON
      TYPE POLYGON
      CLASS
        COLOR 205 92 82
      END
END

The result is always a white box...

In the connection string, I have tried:
1) with password, and without password
2) with port=5432 and without port=5432
3) with host= 'localhost', '127.0.0.1', '192.168.0.2' (the internal IP
address of the machine), and 'machine.local' and 'machine.domain.com'.
4) I have also done some things suggested on the mapserver lists
including:
making sure postgresql.conf has tcpip_socket=true
making sure pg_hba.conf includes a line for my machine...

The frustrating thing about this is that I can get no information from
mapserv or postgis about the nature of the problem.  In other words, I
can't find any error message to help locate the problem.  The mapserv
log file indicates successful completion of the request and shp2img
creates the image correctly with no indication of any errors.  Is there
any other log file that might direct me to the nature of the problem?

Again-- my environment is:
Mapserver 3.6.4 (with postgis support)
postgres 7.3.1
postgis from the cvs as of about 1/25/03.
everything was built on and is running on Macos X 10.2.3

Thanks again for any suggestions for further troubleshooting ideas.

Bill