[postgis-users] Possible bug in shp2psql

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Wed Feb 12 09:16:42 PST 2003

I dunno... bug? :) More of an interpretation thing...
That's a 14-digit parcel number, it's not really a number, since
numerically it has no meaning. It could be modelled just as well
(better?) as a varchar. Probably it is declared as a number(14,0) in the
DBF file though, so shp2pgsql tries to make it an integer. The code just
needs another test, so that if the number of requested digits in a
numeric field is > 9, then int8 is used instead of int4. That still will
not save us from people who declare 100-digit strings as number(100,0)
though.
P.