[postgis-users] 0.7.4 Release

strk strk at freek.keybit.net
Fri Feb 14 02:31:40 PST 2003

There has never been a break... just a mis-interpretation of holes.
The PIP function (we talked about it already, do you remember?) loops
for one point more then the available once. The crossing check does not
do the right thing thus - sometimes - it makes shp2pgsql think that
an hole is not an hole (does not find any other ring containing it) and
consider it as a new outer ring. Visually it is clever that it IS an hole.

Anyway, instead of keep asking for data proves (send the shape...) why not
just check the PIP() function contained in shp2pgsql ? I compared it with
the PIP function found in the main postgis objects (_ops maybe?) and is
different, for just an i<(n-1) check in the for loop. We checked togheter
the shapefile format specification and we found out they are "closed" as
the pgsql once.. do you remember ?

It is not easy to discover the problem because many GIS viewer have their own
Polygon In Polygon functions to check for holes, and sometimes overlapping
layers will write something in the supposed hole thus making it invisible.

I've seen that latest modification of shp2pgsql are very few
(a couple of lines maybe?) from 0.7.3, so I don't see why should
it work now.

The question is: have you checked at all the PIP() function defined there ?

[ sorry for the tone, but I find a lot of resistance against my patches,
  I find myself keeping patching all new releases with little response
  from main developers -- END_OF_STRESS ]

BTW, Thanks a lot for your job.

--strk;