[postgis-users] Cygwin / PostgreSQL / PostGIS installation

christian.schuster at rsag.ch christian.schuster at rsag.ch
Mon Feb 24 06:58:36 PST 2003

I found two solutions for building and installing PostGIS.

1. Change in the Makefile like following
#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Add libraries that libpq depends (or might depend) on into the
# shared library link.  (The order in which you list them here doesn't
# matter.)
#SHLIB_LINK=$(filter -L%, $(LDFLAGS))
ifeq ($(USE_PROJ),1)
      SHLIB_LINK=$(filter -L%, $(LDFLAGS)) -L$(PROJ_DIR)/lib -lproj
else
      SHLIB_LINK=$(filter -L%, $(LDFLAGS))  ../../src/backend/libpostgres.a
endif
#---------------------------------------------------------------

2. Change the Makefile like following
#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Select proper GiST support C file
#
ifeq ($(USE_VERSION),71)
      GIST_SUPPORT=71
      GIST_ESTIMATE=
else
      GIST_SUPPORT=72
      GIST_ESTIMATE= #postgis_estimate.o
endif

OBJS=postgis_debug.o postgis_ops.o postgis_fn.o postgis_inout.o
postgis_proj.o postgis_chip.o postgis_transform.o
postgis_gist_$(GIST_SUPPORT).o $(GIST_ESTIMATE)

#---------------------------------------------------------------
# Add libraries that libpq depends (or might depend) on into the
# shared library link.  (The order in which you list them here doesn't
# matter.)
#SHLIB_LINK=$(filter -L%, $(LDFLAGS))
ifeq ($(USE_PROJ),1)
      SHLIB_LINK=$(filter -L%, $(LDFLAGS)) -L$(PROJ_DIR)/lib -lproj
else
      SHLIB_LINK=$(filter -L%, $(LDFLAGS))
endif
#---------------------------------------------------------------

Henry, I just installed PostgreSQL. I configure PostgreSQL just like this
./configure --with-java. I did not have any troubles. One question. Did you
also install the package Perl in Cygwin?

Can you send me a print of your ./configure or make output? I am really not
an expert in all of these topics. But I spent already many hours on it. It
may be that I can help you.

Regards,

Christian Schuster

Rudolf Schuster AG
Postfach 277
CH - 3000 Bern 11

http://www.rsag.ch
++41 31 348 05 30

             "Henry Holland"
             <hjholland at gmx.ne
             t>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  "'PostGIS Users Discussion'"
             postgis-users-bou         <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.
             nces at postgis.refr         net>
             actions.net                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             24.02.2003 15:04          RE: [postgis-users] Cygwin /
                                       PostgreSQL / PostGIS installation

             Please respond to
             hjholland at gmx.net
             ; Please respond
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

List and Christian,

I am getting exactly the same results. Endless 'undefined' references in
the linking phase (I think). I've tried all sorts of combinations of
things that other users (thanks to Barbara Kastelliz for a brief moment
of hope:) and the archives have mentioned over the last two weeks to get
PostGIS 0.7.4 compiled and installed on Cygwin, but no luck.

I managed to install PostgreSQL from the source, but only without perl
(more 'undefined' references). I tried to install perl from source as
the latest cygwin perl binary package (5.6.1-2) is built with gcc2,
which I thought may be part of the problem. That was a complete
non-event (don't know how many times I've now gone through ./configure
and ./Configure scripts). Still no postgis. I've run out of ideas. If
anyone has any more suggestions (I would love to just do it all on
Linux, but I need it on WinXP), please let us know.

Regards,
Henry Holland

http://www.rsag.ch
++41 31 348 05 30